What can I do if I have a complaint?
Although we do everything we can to ensure you receive great support from Right Management we understand that you may find yourself disatisfied with our service. If this occurs we would like to resolve this for you as soon as possible, and learn how we can improve our services. If you have a complaint you can send us an email to [email protected] We will contact you within one working day in order to discuss how we can resolve the issue as soon as possible. If a quick resolution is not possible then your complaint will be taken care of by an independent committee. You can be assured that this will be a confidential process and that any employee of Right Management involved in your complaint has no direct role in this committee. In cases where we are not able to resolve the issue with the committee you have the option to submit your complaint to NIP or to the complaints committee of the OVAL. NIP is the Professional Association of Psychologists The OVAL is the branch association for outplacement and career counseling organizations